Highbury Library Logo

Highbury Library Logo

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Quick round-up

Bobby - on his way to Villa

I just want to put a very brief piece on here today. I felt I better write something as I've not posted since Sunday's magnificent win at Everton. I've just noticed that I wrote Everton 0 - 2 Arsenal in the Title for Sunday's piece...oops! Of course the score was 2-1 to The Arsenal, so apologies to any Everton fans that might have stumbled upon it by accident.
Arsenal announced yesterday that Robert Pires is set to sign for Aston Villa. I'm disappointed that Wenger hasn't changed his mind about putting the great man on a short contract at Arsenal. I still think he could do an important job at some point in the long Winter that lies ahead. His influence on the likes of Nasri, Walcott, Wilshere, Lansbury etc might just have improved and educated those players a little. I hope that, just by training alongside a legend, a little of his stardust will have rubbed off on the youngsters. If they can go on to have Arsenal careers like Bobby then the future will be bright indeed. Arsenal play Aston Villa in ten days time. Having allowed Pires to train with the Club we have to hope that he doesn't come back to bite us on the backside in that match. Good luck Robert, but save your good moments for after you play against Arsenal. Please.
I'm not sure if you noticed England U21's played last night. I didn't see the game as I was working, but Henri Lansbury played the 90 minutes, though the last 30 of these were as a goalkeeper. This U21 squad was full of lower-division no-marks who will never play for England at the higher level. On Monday morning Pearce called up a few more. Meanwhile Jay Emmanuel-Thomas stayed training at Arsenal, not wanted by his Country. I'm not the sort of person who wants players to be taken away for meaningless international rubbish, but some sort of recognition for a young player doesn't go amiss. JET has been involved in a number of first-team games this season, in all competitions, as well as banging in the goals for Arsenal Reserves. This boy is playing at one of the top Premier League Club's. If he were with a lesser team he would probably be in their first-eleven every week, so why is he not wanted by England U21? I can only assume it's because Pearce doesn't like Arsene Wenger, or Arsenal. It's a complete joke, and Capello should be stepping in to tell Pearce what he is doing wrong, otherwise he is neglecting his duties as England Manager.

I might watch England tonight, or I might not. After all, The Apprentice is on at 9 o'clock (and Chamakh is playing against Northern Ireland, live on Sky). If I do watch England I'll post a review tomorrow, if not I'll be back on Friday to preview the Villa game (hopefully Jack Wilshere is fit by then).

No comments:

Post a Comment