Highbury Library Logo

Highbury Library Logo

Thursday 17 November 2011

The King returns to Arsenal

Sign him up Arsene

I have just been cheered up immensely by reading that Thierry Henry, the King of Highbury, is back training with Arsenal in the off-season from the MLS. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Arsenal doing a service for people like Thierry. In fact training alongside the Great Man can only be good for this group of Arsenal players. Just imagine what a man like Ju Young Park can learn from watching Thierry Henry day in, day out. Quite apart from that you know that Henry will be more than willing to impart his knowledge and experience to everyone at the Club.
There is another part to this, and it is a very important one as far as I'm concerned. When Henry came back to train last season I wrote about how I thought Arsene should get him on loan in order to boost our options. This is even more the case this season. Come January Marouane Chamakh will be off to the African Cup of Nations, leaving us with just Van Persie and Park. Wouldn't it be great to have Thierry sitting on the bench? The very sight of him warming up on the touchline would scare defenders rigid. We all know his blistering pace might have gone, but the fear defenders have of him would afford him the necessary space to use his exceptional football ability to bring others in to the game. Henry could quite comfortably play in behind a main striker, like Dennis used to, and he would certainly pick out any run made from wide by Walcott or Gervinho.
The fixtures are going to come at us hard and fast, and the boost of having Henry in the squad would be huge for the players and the fans alike. Just imagine the noise the crowd would make at the introduction of Henry to the pitch. I don't think for one minute that Arsene would entertain the idea of getting him on a loan deal, but I honestly believe it would suit all parties. Henry would get his fitness in match situations before returning to New York, and Arsenal would get the benefit of a World Class player in the squad.
I suppose I shouldn't get excited about something that I doubt will happen, but I can't help but imagine how great it would be to see Thierry back where he belongs. Just think about the great man wearing red and white a few more times. What a way to celebrate the 125th anniversary that would be!


I'll try and do a preview of the Norwich game tomorrow morning. I am working in the afternoon/evening so I won't be able to hear any of Arsene's pre-match comments before writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment