Highbury Library Logo

Highbury Library Logo

Saturday 16 April 2011

Liverpool (h) preview

Wojciech Szczesny - should be back tomorrow

I don't like playing on a Sunday. If we have to be on TV I would far rather it was the early kick-off on a Saturday. I find the whole weekend is arse-about-face, and travelling on a Sunday is an annoying bind. Having said that, the fact that we are on telly at this time of the season means we are still Man Utd's closest challengers, so we must take the rough with the smooth.
The team news is encouraging for once. We have Wojciech back in goal and Alex Song is apparently (and amazingly) fit again - I hope his performance is an improvement on what we saw against Blackburn a fortnight ago. Denilson is also fit for duty but I will be seriously disappointed to see him taking a place on the bench ahead of people like Aaron Ramsey. The fact that the squad tomorrow is also likely to be boosted by Johan Djourou, and the news that Thomas Vermaelen might yet get some action before the end of the season, means we go in to a match on a bit of a high for the first time in ages.

Liverpool have been a bit inconsistent since King Kenny returned. The thing that worries me is that they will have Andy Carroll (who has already destroyed Squillaci and Koscielny once this season) and Luis Suarez up front, as well as the tireless Dirk Kuyt. I really like Suarez and I imagine there will one or two European Club's kicking themselves at missing out on him at such a reasonable price. The absence of Steven Gerrard is a bonus for Arsenal and the Liverpool defence is capable of being awful on occasion. Fingers crossed for their worse side tomorrow.
One thing keeps me confident for tomorrow and that is the fact that Liverpool and Manchester United are level on 18 League Titles. Being a Liverpool man Kenny Dalglish knows that most Liverpool fans would accept defeat tomorrow if it ultimately leads to Arsenal stopping United from taking their record. I hope he can convey that to their players before kick-off!

That's your lot for tonight. I'll review the game, hopefully, tomorrow evening when I get back.

2 comments:

  1. Haha...although we'd like to help you win the title and ManU from getting their record, your recent performances have not been convincing enough to let us hand you the points. Hope it changes and you do stop ManU. But, we are aiming for fifth place and every victory helps. So expect a fierce fight tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn this point in the season can be sucky. I want Pool to win as I foolishly still harbour hopes of Chelsea or Spurs collapsing, but I want to see Arsenal pip Man U to the title too. I guess the only thing I know for sure is that I do not want to see a draw ;P

    ReplyDelete